Monday, March 12, 2012

A is for Apple...

I have begun working on the letters with my 3 year old. He knows most of them and their sounds, but this way I am hoping they will really stick. We are working on recognizing and writing the upper and lower case. Practicing the sounds they make and words that start with each letter.  This has been fun so far.  I'm only on "A" though.  I think he is enjoying it.  We pick out books to go with the letter and then I try to adapt the craft to it.  Here is what we did for letter A...

we read "Alligator Boy"

We made an Alligator with the letter "A"

He turned out pretty cute

We also read "The Apple Pie Tree"
This was a great book.  He really enjoyed it!
We made an apple with the lower case "a"

It turned out well too; although, he said it didn't look like an apple...I think it did???
Our upper and lower case letter "A"


I also made him an "A" lunch.  Airplane sandwich, "A" cheese on pretzels, an apple and yogurt with animal sprinkles
The we read the letter "A" section from the above book, which my cousin wrote and illustrated for the boys (she did an amazing job too, which you will see!!!)


and if you read the book, "Apple Pie Tree" you have to make apple pie
Yummy!!!  All 3 Boys loved this.  Now, on to letter "B"
If you are interested in the recipe for the apple pies here it is to the best of my ability.  I kind of made it up as I went along:

The Crust
4 C. All-Purpose flour
1 1/2 C. lard or shortening
1 t. baking powder
1 T. brown sugar
1 t. salt
In a bowl mix:
1 egg
1 T. vinegar
1/2 c. ice water

Mix dry ingredients, and add shortening; mix until pea sized, by hand or in a food processor.  Add mixed liquids until a ball forms.  Form into a log and divide into 4 pieces, making 4 crusts.

I cut this in half for what I made and it made 4 of the above pies.  I rolled the dough and used a bowl and cut the dough into circles (I guess you could also just roll out 4 circles, but mine don't ever turn out in perfect circles)

The Filling
3 Medium apples - Pealed and Diced
1 T. butter
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon

Melt the butter on low heat and add the brown sugar and cinnamon until dissolved.  Add in apples and cook until slightly tender.

Spoon the filling onto half of the circle and then fold over.  Crimp the edges with a fork and poke a few holes in the top.  Brush them with milk and if you choose, top them with sugar.

Bake at 350^ until golden.  (This is where I'm not sure.  I'm guessing they were in there 15-17 minutes.)

We topped them with the small bit of left over filling we had!

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Followers

About Me

wife to an incredible man; mom to 3 amazing boys; trying to live life joyfully; and loving my savior Jesus Christ. I enjoy crafting, decorating, cooking comfort food, planning parties & singing. I love, that I get to stay home to train up my little ones in the Lord, spending time with my husband, spending time with family and friends, spending time with God. I desire to be serving the Lord in all I do, discipling others as I continue to grow, be a fisher of men. Constantly trying to prioritize...and rejoicing in Him!