Thursday, March 1, 2012

Trying to be more Mary...

I feel very blessed in my life and the role I get to play as wife, mother, daughter, friend, etc...  I love that I am able to stay home and care for my family, do activities with my boys and cook for my husband; however, I find that often I forget that I am first a follower of Christ.  How easy it is for me to get wrapped up in all I "have" to do that day.  I struggle taking the time to sit and be still, listening to what my Lord has to say to me.  My "quite" times usually take place with the sounds of boys getting ready in the morning and the hurriedness that brings.  I have felt the Lord saying to me, as he said to Martha in Luke 10:41...
But the Lord answered and said to her, Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things...(NASB)
After reading the entire text in context Luke 10:40-42
40 But Martha was distracted with [a]all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered and said to her, Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (NASB)
I feel that I am often so busy with preparations, that I do not take the time to choose the good part.  I know that God is not calling me to stop all I do and spend the day sitting in silent pray.  He has called me to be a wife, mother, daughter, friend, etc..., however, He has first called me to follow Him.  I know that I need to get back into the way of getting up early to spend time in truly quiet prayer, meditation and study.  Only then will I be able to truly hear what he is saying.  I also need to slow down and talk with Him throughout the day because all the preparations in the world will not mean a thing for eternity, but, taking time to listen to God and serve Him as he has called me shall not be taken away from me.

I truly wish to have the small goal of just getting up 30 minutes earlier a day as a start.  Hopefully this will spur on a more proper perspective of my other roles and allow me to be more effective in all my Martha-ness.
 

No comments:

Followers

About Me

wife to an incredible man; mom to 3 amazing boys; trying to live life joyfully; and loving my savior Jesus Christ. I enjoy crafting, decorating, cooking comfort food, planning parties & singing. I love, that I get to stay home to train up my little ones in the Lord, spending time with my husband, spending time with family and friends, spending time with God. I desire to be serving the Lord in all I do, discipling others as I continue to grow, be a fisher of men. Constantly trying to prioritize...and rejoicing in Him!